It’s amazing what some people think is an emergency
The emergency services. The clue’s in the name, right? And, okay, there might be some nuance to different people’s definitions of what constitutes an emergency.
But there must also, surely, be absolute agreement on what definitely is not an emergency.
To help remind people, every year, the police forces in the UK compile a list of some of the more baffling, trivial, tangential and downright stupid reasons people have dialled 999.
- A woman calling to say she had bought a cold kebab and the shop would not replace it
- Callers who missed their alarm and were going to be late for a flight wanting officers to take them to the airport.
- A woman who had seen a clown in London selling balloons for £5 each, which was much more than other clowns were charging.
- Callers in distress because their low-fuel indicator light had come on.
- A man calling to say his 50p coin was stuck in a washing machine at his local launderette and he wanted police to retrieve it.
- A man who did not have change for a parking machine claiming staff at a car park had kidnapped him because they were refusing to let him out for free.
- A caller who dialled 999 at 4am on a Saturday morning and asked: “Where is the best place to get a bacon sandwich right now?”
- A man who called 999 as he was advised to call 111 but did not know the number.
- A woman who wanted police to deal with a couple of noisy foxes outside her home as they were preventing her from sleeping.
- A woman who dialled 999 to say there were men in her house trying to take her away. The men in question were police officers who had come to arrest her.
Heaven help us all…
Flashing Lights: Enrol with the police, emergency medical services or fire department and take on unique missions and rewards in an open world.
Engage in desperate car chases, diagnose life-threatening injuries, and put out lethal fires! Each department has its own vehicles, equipment and abilities for you to take control of.
Play in single player, or work together with friends in online multiplayer to tackle incidents across a shared world.